Friday, April 16, 2010

Bowling For Bulgaria

I've been trying to get a feel for the city of Varna, Bulgaria. What is traditional, coastal Bulgarian? What is the cuisine? What is typical Bulgaria all about? I haven't found the answers. I don't know if there are any definitive answers. Not sure if the reader cares. I ask people I meet what the quintessential Bulgarian dish is. There doesn't seem to be a sure answer. Some have told me there really isn't one.

Some of the more popular places here seem to be the upscale bowling alley near our apartment and an Irish pub, not particularly strong examples of nationalism, but that's fine. This city seems to have embraced capitalism and westernization which can dilute national tradition, sometimes in a good way. Some countries have clear identities and some don't. Perhaps the case at hand has something to do with previous generations' preoccupation with the importance of getting by without concerning themselves with maintaining cultural traditions.

The afore-mentioned Irish pub is interesting. They have a live band nearly every night. The band that we have been listening to recently plays classic rock hits from the 60's and 70's. It's like listening to my Dad's record collection. Good stuff. It is a nice change from the music we hear in the stores and restaurants which amounts to a cacophony, yes a cacophony (word of the day toilet paper), of yuck. If you put all of the bad music of the 90's in a pot and boiled it, this would be the layer of scum scraped off the top. I have learned, first hand, that American music is ubiquitous.

Oh, forgot to address the title. We went bowling.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, American music can be ubiquitous. I venture to say that the scum from all of the bad music of the 80's would be far more putrid than that of the 90's were it boiled and the scum scraped off the top; but I digress. I am glad to see you and Erin's posts both seeming positive with regards to your new address. It troubles me to have my only sibling residing on the other side of the planet but I'm sure I'll manage as long as you can. I too am a fan of the West Coast in America and am glad to know that you are in a similar environment. The name "Bulgaria" to me is certainly not suggestive of "California" but perhaps their economies will soon be similar. I look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited an irish pub in Cancun that also had a local band that played '60s and '70s rock nearly every night. Honkie Tonk Woman sung with a spanish accent can be heard but certainly not imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unknown commenter "Leslie" makes good points. I appreciate the link between the developing countries and California, as their respective lines on the graph may soon intersect while heading in opposite directions.

    ReplyDelete

BapHa

BapHa